- Total estimated number of orphans who have lost one or both parents: 140 million
- Estimated number of “double orphans”: 15 million (having lost both parents)
B. In the U.S.
- Children currently in foster care: 420,000
- Number of children waiting in foster care to be adopted: 100,000
- Average length of stay in continuous foster care: 20 months
- Average age of a child in the foster system: 8.6 years old
- Children adopted from foster care in the US in 2015: 52,931
C. Inter-Country Adoption
- In the years’ span from 1999—2011, a total,of 233,934 children from around the world were welcomed into families in the U.S. through inter-country adoption. Of that number, 141,321 were female and 83,291 were male (3 unreported).
- More children come home through inter-country adoption from China than any other nation.
- Inter-Country adoption has decreased 59 percent from its high in 2004.
Back to the full list of questions.